Monday, August 4, 2008

Thoughtless thoughts

Here are some random experiences/thoughts from this week. I couldn't get the computer to upload any pics. ENJOY!

1)KRISPIE KREME DREAMS

In my normal pre-challenge life Krispie Kremes were a treat- one that I indulged in every once in a while. Not THAT often. I will say I have eaten more Krispie Kremes in the past few weeks of this challenge than in the past several years of my life. I don't know why but I feel a magnetic pull towards them when I am in the grocery store on Saturday night, planning my Sunday fix. So in the past couple weeks I have just bought a half dozen on those Saturday sweet shopping sprees. But as I walked into Walmart on this particular Saturday the Griffin Bears football team was selling a box of a dozen. There's a young man in the ward there on the team, begging me to buy the dozen. UGH! What am I to do? I really only NEED six...not 12. But then again, I can just throw away the ones I don't eat. Waste all in the name of support for my alma mater. So I bought them. I petitioned for Saturday to be a free day because of it being fast Sunday on our regular free day. I gotta have a full day of sweets. I won't say how many my family ate and how many I ate because it's really quite embarrassing. I will say there were two left on Sunday. It was NOT a free day. I had had quite my fill the night before, eating Krispie Kremes until 11pm. We are laying down for our usual Sunday afternoon naps and I am awakened by Cooper, whom we had been watching for the weekend while Em and Jake went to TN for their anniversary. I tried to smother the sound of his cries by putting the pillow over me ears. He hadn't been sleeping long enough. Only an HOUR!!! COOPER- GO BACK TO SLEEP! So I was in and out of consciousness and all I remember was this; smelling and tasting Krispie Kremes. They were melting in my mouth. I had been fasting all day. This really could be considered a type of torture. It wakes me up out of my sleep. All I can think of is Krispie Kremes. There were two left. Should I lose a point? I started thinking about the fact that I am not going to win (Jordan has a perfect score). Then for some reason I started thinking about the monetary value I would put on some Krispie Kremes at that very moment. I decided that I would pay $25 for some. So I hurriedly got up and downed the last two. I was defenseless. After dreaming about them what was I supposed to do. Hey, maybe I was sleep eating/walking. I had no control! :)

2) BOTTOM FEEDERS

Here are two funny tales from the Griffin Ward. A lot of people have said this of our ward: "The Griffin Ward is like the island of misfits. They are round pegs trying to fit in a square hole". You got the idea. And I might just add that I feel totally comfortable blogging about this as only one other person in my ward has a blog and she totally supports me and the hillarity ( I know that's not a word)of these stories! Story one happened two weeks ago. Anyway....so I am the first counselor in our Relief Society presidency. The president and I were discussing some last minute announcements in whispered tones as presidencies often have to do during the opening hymn. I won't go into details but we have a very special person who plays the piano in our ward. She's very intense...let's put it that way. So we are whispering very quietly and this pianist, in the middle of the second verse of the opening hymn, stops playing and stands up and says the following bold, out-of-place statement while glaring and pointing at us, "Do you think we could start the second verse over and do you think you two could be quiet?". WOW! What do you say to that? So we said, "yes", committing to ourselves to talk to her about her disruptive behavior after class. I won't even go into that even more out-of-place conversation.
Story number two happened this past Sunday. It's my turn to give the Relief Society presidency message since it's fast Sunday. I was teaching the lesson on the article in this month's Ensign entitled "Cultivating Righteousness". There's a section in the article that says, "touch not the unclean thing" and then it gives specific examples like the media. Wanting participation, I ask the class, "What are some other unclean things we should 'touch not'?". They give me the answers I am fishing for like TV, people that are bad influences, etc. Then one lady raises her hand and this is how our conversation goes: (L for lady, M for me)
L: There are some things that are unclean that we should keep out of our diet.
M: OH! Like the word of wisdom, thank you! I didn't even think about that! (I'm excited. Someones into my lesson and thinking outside the box.)
L: No. Not the word of wisdom. Things like pork. (At this point everyone shifts in their seat to get a good look at who's talking.) Bottom feeders. A lot of seafood are considered bottom feeders too.
M: Bottom feeders? (I am thinking aloud. I ask without really wanting an answer...I should've just said thank you and moved on)
L: Yes, they are things that feed off of waste or feces. (UGH...IN RELIEF SOCIETY!!)
M: Oh. OK. Well, I don't eat seafood so I guess I don't have to worry about eating any bottom feeders. ( I don't really know what to say...AWKWARD!)

We were talking about righteous/unrighteous type things. Not personal opinions on food. I make a mental note to ask Jason what he thinks when I get home. So I talk to Jason. We agree. Ridiculous. PIGS! They don't eat poo. Yeah, slop, sure. Hasn't she seen the Lion King? The animals poop and it fertilizes the grass and the cow (or whatever animal) eats it. So, does she eat beef????

3) TRIX ARE FOR KIDS....REALLY, THEY ARE

I bought a brand new box of Trix for the kids to enjoy. I don't buy it often but I got a really good deal. They love it dry, with milk, whatever. The first morning I am pouring some for Ella and I clumsily knock the box on it's side and because it was so full there were trix all over my kitchen floor. I get out my little shark vacuum and seemingly get up all the runaway Trix. Now fast forward to two days later. Lincoln is just puttering around and i guess his point of view is such that he can see everything under the oven. (It's not a very big space but things get under there inevitably) So Lincoln spots something and I see him excitedly run over the the oven and reach his chubby little fingers just under the corner and pull out a green trix. I say, "Ew Lincoln, that's dirty. Let's throw it away". Lincoln says, "No mommy". He pops it in his mouth before I can even blink. He knew I was coming to get it from him. Then the classic part is this. He looks at me with this darling mischievous smile and says, "mmmm....mommy. Yummy". I laughed so hard.

12 comments:

lucinda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

i'd love to tell everyone just how many krispy kremes you ate. that's just an amazing feat right there. sorry my child drove you to insanity!!

Dixie and Drew said...

claire your blog is so funny. I love it! I completely understand about the krispy kremes. Sweets are my weakness. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Rebecca said...

That's hilarious. I had more cravings when I was really doing that challenge than I did when I was pregnant! I DON'T want to know how many krispie kremes you ate b/c I very well might vomit. Hilarious about R.S. Wow- she probably stopped the opening song b/c you guys were the only two people in R.S.! That bottom feeder thing is absolute insanity. But, to be expected.

J said...

oh claire, i love reading your blog because it's so darned funny! i am an absolute junkfood junkie, and stopping myself at just one treat is usually not gonna happen, so i'm glad i know someone else like me in that respect! also, your ward sounds delightful. :) sometimes you just gotta wonder why people say some of the most bizarre things, especially in a church setting. thanks for making me laugh with your post!

J said...

oh yeah, i also wanted to say i relate to you incident with lincoln eating the trix. vessel does the same thing. a few days ago we were outside and he was eating a lollipop (which is something he doesn't get very often) and he accidentally dropped in the dirt. well, you can imagine what it looked like. anyway, it didn't even phase him. he was a split second away from putting it back into his mouth all covered in dirt and who knows what before i snatched it away. yeah, he cried...but whaddayagonna do? lincoln's smart and too quick!

Amanda said...

And that is why I don't eat pork! That lady knows about the nastiness that comes from a pig! Haha I am totally kidding. I really don't know what to say about your RS stories hum....but they made me laugh because I can totally see your face in both situations. Maybe you need to share your krispie kremes with those ladies so they will lighten up a bit :)

Rachel said...

this isn't rachel commenting but i sure can't figure out how to get my name in the google blogger spot. the krispy kreme true story was the best - my entertainment for the entire week! good thing since t.v. is off limits for the most part, right? The Challenge is doing amazing things for us! love, mom

kateworthi said...

Oh C - Yeah, the bottomfeeder thing is hilarious... Is that why people really think pork is an unclean meat? Is that lady a convert or something? How weird. And as far as the Krispy Kreme thing goes: I know first hand just how delicious they are - but I tell ya, I never really could love them from the boxes in the grocery store. They're just not the same as when they're all fresh off the line... I am so proud of you for being so honest though! It was awesome. Oh yeah, and Hilarity IS a word. I've always thought it was - so when you said that, I was taken aback. And I decided to check on dictionary.com - it's there. SO I figure that it must be a word. :)

Lindsey said...

Yeah- that was my first comment. Hilarity is absolutely a word- you just need to spell it correctly. :)

The old pillow over the head trick- that's my favorite babysitting technique.

WOW- your RS sounds about as colorful as ours. That CRACKS ME UP about the pianist. I really want to hear about the conversation where you put her in your place (aren't you over the music anyway? did you have to approach her about it?)

Pork-mmmmmmm.....yummy. I love all bottom dwellers and eat shrimp with relish (enjoyment....not the pickle stuff)

Alicia said...

I love the Krispy Kreme story,because it brought back college memories of buying a dozen in college and polishing them off between the two of us!

The relief society stories are great too. I thought my hometown ward was the only crazy one, but I guess it's everywhere. Last week a lady in our ward announced to the whole class that she thought my mom has a learning disability because she can't understand what she reads in the scriptures most of the time. I've been teasing her all week about it.
Anyways great stories, you always make me giggle out loud!!

Freddie said...

Oh Claw... you made me laugh right out loud. I loved the Griffin story. Wow.. Mollie gets home this tuesday! Im excited :)