Sunday, September 20, 2009

Harvest blocks

I had a few requests for directions on how to make the harvest blocks. They are very easy and very cheap to make. Here goes (sorry if I am too detailed...it's in my nature):
1) Buy a long 2x4. Cut seven pieces with these dimensions: 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 (you need two of these), 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 (you need two of these), and 3 1/2 x 7 1/2 (you need three of these).
2) Sand the edges of the blocks. Paint the blocks with craft paint. I like to see the grain of the wood so I put a very thin layer of born on mine. I even watered it down b/c I didn't want it on thick.
3) Make friends with someone who owns a cricut. This is vital. :) My aunt has a vinyl machine so she did it for us. She does ship if you want to order the letters from her. I can give you her contact info. It might take a a few test runs b/c you need three different sizes of letters (my aunt used two different fonts too). Put the vinyl on your cute fall paper (that you already cut a slight bit smaller than the above dimensions to give a cropped look).
4) Next, put the paper with the letters onto the blocks with mod podge (I used matte finish)using a paint brush. Then put a layer of mod podge over that, making sure to continue past the edges of the paper and onto the block, adhering it to the block. You don't need mod podge on the entire block, just the front side. That's it! Good luck!

5 comments:

Connie said...

I think Patti needs to make some of these for me . . . :)

Allred Family said...

really cute stuff!

Mr & Mrs Smith said...

Hey Claire,
Your blog is so funny! I get a kick out of reading about your kids. Ella is getting to big! She was in nursery with me in when I was in griffin! Wow, they are so cute:)Just thought I would say hi
Kris

kateworthi said...

These are so cute! And so are you! I love my hot pregnant Clizzy! !! What a cute pic of you below. I miss you. We need to talk - it's been forever. Call me if you think about it. I know you don't like to talk on the phone - so I hesitate.

J said...

Those blocks are dang cute. I might have to make 'em. Thanks for the directions.