Saturday, September 19, 2009


Some friends came over and mod podged these adorable "harvest" blocks. Thanks to Jana for the idea and vinyl lettering. My finished product is above with yummy caramel apples made by Lincoln and Ella themselves. See below.

What is a girls' night out without chocolate molten cake. YUMMO!!! If you want this recipe it's on our Jewkes family recipe blog (link on the right). It was super easy and incredibly moist and delicious.

I can hardly resist all the marketing ploys during the fall season. There are a million yummy things to make, lost of things to decorate with, and fun activities to do. What can I say....I am a sucker for anything fall and we start the fall celebrations early at my house (in case you couldn't guess that from the painting pumpkins post). Here are some fun fall things we did this weekend.





We got your first pets this weekend! Well, I guess that's not quite true. We are not pet people but three Christmases ago we caved into the pet craze and bought a bunny for Ella that we named Hamilton. Again we are not pet people. Case in point: I accidentally left the garage open when the bunny was "roaming" (we strive for free-roaming, ethical treatment of all animals) ...needless to say, I am pretty sure it was a tasty treat for a fox or some other wild beast that roams these parts. This weekend though we found the perfect pets. CATERPILLARS! Seriously, how can you go wrong? I guess the fact that I have no idea whether or not they are poisonous and could kill my children is a start. Oh well. They are funny looking green caterpillars that we found on our tomatoes in our garden (yum, I know). They have these weird white things on them. The pictures are very blurry but it's the weirdest caterpillar I have ever seen. The type you see on Baby Einstein videos that are exotic.

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

ummm, I gave that idea to Jana- is she really trying to pass it off as her own??? Actually, I got the idea from a friend, so I can't take credit either. we made the same thing last year. cute! that cake does look yummy. almost as yummy as those caterpillars look nasty.

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

the blocks did turn out so cute! that caterpillar looks like it's being eaten by maggots. i wouldn't let my kids get within 10 feet!:)

Erica said...

I love these Claire!!! could you walk me through how you did it? I might attempt to make them myself! I LOVE them!!!

Jene and Megan said...

Thanks again for organizing the craft night. It was fun and the snacks were delicious!

Amanda said...

The "harvest" blocks turned out so cute! Thanks for inviting me to your crafting party. Is Jenn really standing behind me in that picture??
That cake was really good! I am still thinking about it...

Rachel said...

I second Emily's comment- those caterpillars look like they're infested with maggots.

Those "harvest" blocks are SO cute and that cake looks amazing.

Abbey said...

First of all....pregnant! When did this happen?! I obviously am completely out of the loop. Anyway, will you PLEASE blog about how you did the harvest letters. Is it just blocks, paper, vinyl lettering, and decoupage stuff? I need to know!

Abbey said...

Oh, and congrats on baby #3! So exciting!

Lindsey said...

Ewww. I don't even know what to say about that caterpillar. I don't think it's maggots. I think it's covered with warts. You might want to give both kids a full body check.

Alicia said...

I LOVE the letters!! What a fun activity, and it looks like the food didn't suck either!

Jason Sessions said...

Umm, Claire those caterpillars are funny looking because they aren't caterpillars. They are tomato worms and are not something you want to have around.

The Fox Family said...

i LOVE that Harvest Craft. Me and a friend of mine are trying to make those too. so cute.

Jessica Sedgwick said...

We had the same "worms" on our tomato plants! Caleb caught one and kept it in a jar. He fed it tomato plant leaves, and it lived for a week or two. I found it dead in the jar one day, and I was so glad because it was getting super huge and fat, I was getting scared of it. :) But it never had any white stuff on it--maybe they are maggots. Gross.

Dixie and Drew said...

I love the blocks!! They look really cute!!! Good job!!!

The Thomas Family said...

That was a fun night! I love my blocks! Thank you! In fact my neighbor liked mine so much, the neighborhood is making them now. :)

That caterpillar is nasty!! You have had some wicked creatures on your blog! I still think the possum was the most disgusting. Thanks for sharing. :)