Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Day for Ella

Today was Ella's birthday. I know five is a big number because of kindergarten and all, but four seemed awfully big to me today. At four they are definitely not a toddler any more and in August Ella can attend Georgia's free Pre-K program. So today we celebrated our little lady with a party fit for the economic times! Here are the events of the day:

1) Chocolate chip pancakes (that I woke up early to make...grrr)complete iwth a candle to blow out. I thought for some reason these were every kid's dream breakfast. Not my kids. They both asked for cereal shortly after trying their gourmet flapjacks. They are cereal connoisseurs.

2) We then made "funfetti" (everyone know those are the BEST) cupcakes and brought them to our little playgroup hosted at Ronald McDonald's place. The icing with the funfetti on top was really popular...there were a lot of bare, topless cupcakes around.


3)Earlier, we made a very special trip to Big Lots where I would intentionally point and "ooh" at something to see Ella's reaction. We walked away with a couple gifts totaling $6. The best part about it was that Ella was so ADD-like in the store (just like me in a store) that she didn't even realize I was throwing her presents in the cart. We also walked away with a bag of Rotini noodles that Ella saw and requested for her special dinner. Much to the chagrin if Jason, we had spaghetti with Rotini noodles. When he was really little he ran away one night because his mom made spaghetti. It's a long-running joke in the family...but he hates it. All in the name of Ella, he sacrificed and managed to shove some down. *GULP*
4) After dinner we took Ella to feed "Scarlett", HER horsey. Oddly enough, there's a horsey named Scarlett every where we go.Hmmmmm.


5)She opened her wonderful presents to which she exclaimed, while unwrapping, "Oh dear...oh, dear" (???). She was completely thrilled with her presents. We continued to play chutes and ladders and then we climbed into the "tent" (which Ella always calls a temple) and watched a special movie with candy and ice cream.

Ella and Link's pose. TADA!!!!!

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Ella. Sounds like a perfect lil' girl day ;)

Lindsey said...

Awww- happy bday, Ella! I can't believe our baby girls are already turning four!!!! Doesn't that seem SOOO old?! :(

I also can't believe your kids didn't devour (sp?) those pancakes. That's my kids favorite breakfast item ever!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ella!!!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday sweet Ella!

Teryn said...

wow Claire! 4 is a big deal! I can't believe she's 4 already! Claira will be 3 in a couple of months and already doesn't feel like a toddler anymore to me either! Looks like it was a great birhday for Ella!! yay :)

Allred Family said...

Oh My GOODNESS! So much for my new year's resolution. Here I am asking for everyone's birthday and I already forgot the first neice of the year. I am soooo sorry. I hope she had a wonderful birthday. Tell her Happy Birthday from her air-headed aunt and cousins. (They're not air-headed, just me).

Rebecca said...

Happy B-day, Ella! What a cutie! Sounds like you guys had a fun day.

Jene and Megan said...

What a fun and eventful birthday for Ella! I love the spaghetti story..haha..that is really funny! I missed seeing everyone at playgroup today...by the way.

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

i feel totally oblivious to that day...i didn't know hardly any of that went on. i thought i knew everything about your life!!:)

Lauren said...

"oh dear", rotini noodles, "temple" - your daughter is so adorable. I was cracking up reading this.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

"oh dear, oh dear"

lol

Jessica Sedgwick said...

I haven't looked at your blog in a while. Sorry we missed Ella's birthday! I love that little girl with her cute little voice. It sounds like she had a fabulous birthday week! I laughed when I read about you throwing her gifts into the cart without her noticing. You're so sneaky.

That "oh dear" thing sounds like dad talking to mom.

What's up with Jason not liking spaghetti? That's our family's favorite meal, and so easy!