Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mom of the Year



I am sure you've all been contemplating who you would vote for for "Mom of the Year". I am at the top of your list, right? Let me do a little campaigning and tell you why YOU SHOULD VOTE FOR ME!
1) Link got about a million ant bites this past week. This is a picture of just his mangled hand. This picture does not capture half of the bites. I am not exaggerating when I say he had 20 just on the one hand. What other mom could manage such a task? Then Jason decided they needed to be popped. Jason is obssessed with puss. Good thing he wants to go to Dental school. They have to pop all kinds of mouth infections.
2) I was so preoccupied getting ready for my last enrichment (HOORAY!!! I am now secretary instead!!!) that I didn't realize Link had walked out the door at my mom's house. They live on 50 acres and have a 1/4 of a mile long driveway. Usually I don't worry too much about them out there, given the proximity to the road. When I finally remembered that I had children, amongst all my hurriedness to get ready, I ran outside to see where they were. Just at that moment I saw a strange man holding my son and walking down my driveway with a truck following him slowly. I guess he thought I might think it careless of him to actually ride in the truck with him. What kind of mom does he think I am?? He said that Link was not at the top of the driveway but in the road crying his eyes out. I say all this in jest...but really, it was terrifying. Now, you're really convinced. I have got this "mother of the Year" election in the bag.




These are just some pics that I took that I thought were cute. Link is adorable and the fall trees at Grandma's are gorg!



And now for my most recent project- redo my living room. We had this hideous, leather mahogany colored couch in our living room. I was persuaded to buy it b/c it was an awesome price and it was leather for goodness sake!! (AKA-childproof). Soon after the pruchase I realized I hated it. We sold it almost for what we bought it for. We still want leather, but until we can flip the bill for it and love what we buy....we are holding out. So here if the temporary living room. I got this awesome retro gold lamp at a garage sael for $2.50. I was stoked. If you look closely at the shade, it's pretty nappy. So I recovered it with this beautiful fabric. VOILA!!! Here it is. It adds the perfect touch. One Q though....I really love the retor look of the gold....but I am beginning to think that if I painted it black it might pop more. What do you think???

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

I can't believe you let Jason pop those ant bites! GROSS! they could leave scars, too! that story about link and cooper is so sad- i would be horrified as well. great pics of link and the property. i like the lamp gold, but you might be right about the black. nice decor- i'm impressed!

Rachel said...

Did those guys that brought Link back chew you out? Some people get angry when they notice overt child neglect. Really though, I cannot believe that he walked up the ENTIRE driveway- like he was trying to trek home or something. My kids would have gotten bored and turned around after, say, 50 feet. I'm just glad he didn't fall in the lake or fountain, or get eaten by a beaver or something else treacherous on that little journey he took.

Anonymous said...

I think the retro-ness would be gone if you painted it black. Your living room looks great btw!!
PS-You're a great mom! :)

Alicia said...

Oh gosh, I almost started crying when I read about Linc down the driveway until I read it again. At first I thought you caught someone trying to kidnap him, but at least they were honest people. You are a great mom, sometimes kids are just too fast. I like the lamp the way it is, but I'm sure black would be pretty too. I just realized I've never seen pictures of the inside of your house. You should take pictures and put them on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Never doubt for one moment your abilitys as a mother. Your a shoe in for mother of the year. The black would make the lamp pop. but I don't know that it would hold the same decor in the room afterwords. It looks great the way it is.

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

i think we should have an election...bet ya 10 bucks i'd win since cooper's head broke the windshield and i was the one actually responsible for those ant bites...

J said...

I'll vote for ya! I can see it now "Claire Allred---Mother of the freakin' year...." Sounds good, right?

Anyhoo, I love how thrifty you are. I enjoy getting a good deal at garage sales or second hand shops. Sometimes it can be fun to refurbish something to the way you want it to look. I say go with black cos I'm not a "gold" person per se, but if retro is what you're going for you better keep it the way it is. :)

Jill Bagley said...

by the way---i didnt know you lived in a MANSION!!
geez.
nice house.

Lindsey said...

holy cow, claire. i can't even think of a response to this post. i TOTALLY get the whole neglectful parenting thing. i'm with ya on that one, but that is one long driveway. i can barely walk that whole thing without getting lost. and seriously- it's not exactly a busy street...i can't believe he didn't fall in the water or something, or in between the cattle guards. those things freak me out.
love the lamp- my mom has one just like it and i have always told her to give it to me. :) you LR looks cute. and those pictures of lincoln are so adorable. good thing he is still alive so you can post cute pictures of him.

Lindsey said...

ps- is the fabric a toille? i can't tell....

Lindsey said...

pss- i think you would look adorable with samantha's haircut. you have always been able to rock the short funky hairdos.

maybe in the future i should just email you my comments instead...

Abbey said...

You do get the Mom of the Year award, even still. Love your living room! Gold's nice, but the black would match the clock and the pillows. You know you'll have to post whichever you choose?!

Jene and Megan said...

You crack me up!

Anonymous said...

So have you made up your mind yet about how you want to do it? Love the picture of your moms front yard...the coloring is awesome. What a wonderful place to let your children run wild...well except when they wind up in the street. I"ll still nominate your for mother of the year!