Monday, June 20, 2011

Lincoln's 5th- A Shark Party




When Lincoln chose a shark theme for his 5th birthday party I was thinking getting all of the supplies would be a cinch. Nothing is ever a cinch. I could not believe how difficult it was to find shark themed things. Not pirate things. Shark things. Anyway...we had to be creative. And this beauty of a watermelon I must say Jason and our goo friend Mike Forsyth were extremely creative. They put Swedish fish (I only bought red....dumb) in the mouth and sacrificed a unwilling barbie to the shark's mouth as well. This thing was a hit!



Now I don't want to bore with too many details but I had stayed up very late the night before the party making Link's shark cake which I have since deleted the picture off of computer because of the disdain I had for it. Anywho...to make a long story short...I was in the middle of putting teeth made out of airheads into the shark's mouth when the mouth collapsed. It was supposed to be open. I said some naughty words in my head and my eyes welled up with tears. Lincoln has specifically chosen this cake. And to add insult to injury I was running out of time to do the other things for the party because my efforts were so concentrated on making the dang cake (it always takes waaaaay longer than I think). So...I ended up doing plan B which was to make cupcakes with a shark gummy. Boring. Oh well. No one noticed. In fact Lincoln was so consumed by Jason's watermelon he didn't even care and thought the watermelon was his cake.




These were little jell-o aquariums complete with a shark inside that I made for each kid.











And then there was the shark pinata which Jason was more obsessed with than anyone. He really wanted to see how hard he could hit it. Not allowed of course. Hayden was the one who actually busted that thing wide open. But check out this action shot my friend Michelle got of Link swinging.








"The best babysitter in the world" according to Lincoln. Kailey helped out TONZ the entire weekend and kept Q out of my hair as much as she could while the party extravaganza was going on.











Overall it was a successsful party and Lincoln was thrilled. He got some sweet new presents that are already missing pieces.






HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!! This was taken at Sunday dinner where we honored all the fathers. The kids could not have a better daddy!

6 comments:

Heather O'Pry said...

Claire, you are so creative.I heard how cute everything was. It is discouraging to work so hard on a project to have it fall apart and then run out of time. The amazing thing about children is their attention span is so limited the things that we feel are big things do not matter to them. You made some great memories for your children and that my friend is what it is about!

Alicia said...

So cute! You did a great job, and the watermelon was awesome. I'm sure your cake was great too, wish you would have posted pictures

Jessica Sedgwick said...

that looks like a pretty awesome party. I love the watermelon--were the kids grossed out by the barbie legs hanging out?

Trashmaster46 said...

The shark watermelon is awesome!

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

dang girl! you're like one of those ut mommies who goes all out. i never thought it would come to that. i love the watermelon! that is hilarious. wish we could have been there, of course:)

Kris Jagers said...

Super creative party ideas. I'm planning a similar party for my soon-to-be 4 year old, and have been looking for cute shark hats. Where did you find yours? They're so cute, and I haven't seen them before. (Don't tell me you made them...)