Saturday, July 23, 2011

Happenings

So..........the countdown is on. Less than a week and we will begin our move. I say begin b/c its going to take about five days of preparation. WE are soooo excited for this new chapter in our life. Sad to leave so many great things behind here (esp. family and friends) but so excited to experience new things. However, I am WAY less than excited for the physical move. UGH. Esp. being about 7 mos pregnant and it being a million degrees outside. Oh...and the small fact that we (along with some awesome family members -pro bono of course) will be painting the ENTIRE house and reflooring the bathrooms and carpet. So, that's why its going to take about five days of prep. Nonetheless, its here. This day has finally come. I thought it would be forever when Jason and I first embarked upon the goal of heading to dental school. It was about four years ago when we started planning and dreaming. Yes, kids, plan and dream and you can accomplish anything! :)



Now....on to this post. This Summer has been a whirlwind of fun and events. At the end of July and beginning of June we had the 2011 edition of the Jewkes Family Reunion with all of my siblings and their spouses. Yes, ALL. See below. I won't judge you if you need to click on it to even see faces.....there are so many dang people! :)

Doesn't it look like a circus crew or a neighborhood? Nope. Just all my siblings and their spouses and kids. About fifty people in its entirety. Uncle Wayne took all these awesome photos. Don't ask why they are soooo tiny. No clue.








The two crazy people who handled eleven of us growing up and then welcomed fifty people into their house in June and July. Both major feats.




The staff at the dental offices are also counting down apparently! :) They threw Jason a surprise going away party with this adorable cake that said "We're Giving you the Boot". It was so sweet of all of them and Jason's face upon arrival was priceless.



And then our summer got even more eventful when at the beginning of June I picked up Quincy from the gym childcare after teaching ZUMBA and he was practically handicapped for some reason. He refused to walk on his right leg and would not stop crying. So I immediately called the gym to see if something had happened. The girl said no then Ella interrupted my phone call to say, "Yes mom! Lincoln dropped Quincy!". It was confirmed by the girl at the gym. She just didn't thin much of it. To make a long story short I took him to the doctor the next day and it was diagnosed as toxic synovitis, which is inflammation of the hip. So, I gave him Ibuprofen for the next fourteen days and he seemed to get better and better. He did not walk for about 4 days though and that was TORTURE. For him too I suspect.

After about two weeks of anti-inflammatory I was surprised at how achy his leg seemed to be in the evening. Additionally, he would have very minor falls and would cry for an hour and wouldn't walk on his leg again for up to two days. So, I called to DR's office. Again, did not think too much of it. Just told to me to look for bruising or swelling and keep an eye on it. It got better after about tow days from the various falls. After about a week of continuous crying from this sad boy (he kept falling) I finally took him in again. An x-ray was in order. They immediately saw a fracture in his tibia.
Apparently Lincoln had dropped him and he twisted when he fell so it was a bit of a spiral fracture. So, my sweet baby boy had been bearing the pain for a little over a month as I impatiently demanded that he stop crying! He has to wear this cast for only three weeks and has been a champ about it. Bathing has been a trial, but overall, its been easier than I thought.




OOPS! Back to the going away party!....The staff showered Jason with going away gifts such as gift cards, etc. His brothers gave him a huge box of their retired school stuff including this lab jacket.












4 comments:

Meredith said...

Poor little Q!
I'm excited for you guys to go to Dental school, but the getting there sounds horrible!! You are painting YOUR house? Do you still have renters in it?
Good luck with the move!

Rachel said...

Poor Quincy...that is so sad! That cast is pretty cute though. :) I hope everything goes smoothly with the move. I'm sure you'll have lots of help. Good luck!

Jessica Sedgwick said...

Poor quincy! That's such a cute little cast, though! I bet the other kids love it. We're excited for your new adventure, too! It'll be nice to be all on your own for a change. :)

Lauren said...

poor baby! that story makes me so sad... but he seemed so brave!

good luck moving - change is good, I always say. Such a wonderful adventure you're embarking on. Can't wait to keep posted along the way.

by the way your family is so beautiful - such wonderful kids.