Friday, July 9, 2010

A few tender mercies

Most the time tender mercies come to me in small moments. Moments that most would consider insignificant. But really, they are the most significant. These moments are rare becasue they are soft and tender. So unlike the chaaotic and busy world we live in. I am so grateful for these tender moments in which I remember the most important things.

Moment number 1: I have recently had the most intense ache for Quincy. For him to be a newborn again. For him to stop growing. I remember my dad was talking about addictions one night....there had been a fireside on that very topic and he was discussing the things he had learned. He mentioned that there is a certain hormone that is released when you partake of certain addictive things...thus pulling you toward that addicitive thing again. That hormone is the very hormone that is released when a mother gives birth and the result is the instant "motherly bond/connection". I felt that automatically for Quincy. I felt an insatiable appetite for his sweet smell and for his cuddly body. This week especially I have wanted to wake him up and hold him in teh middle of the night. I am so lucky to be able to feel that way and to be reminded of the important things...





like this important thing....




Moment number 2: I was profoundly grateful for my husband this week and that feeling came in such a small moment that I am sure he didn't even realize it. I was crying and aching emotionally. My husband stopped what he was doing and simply held me and told me I was his best friend and expressed his love for me. Nothing compares to that. I am so lucky to be able to feel that way and to be reminded of the important things...





like this important thing....



Moment number 3: This past fourth of July luckily landed on a Sunday....a fast Sunday. I was able to bear my testimony of the great principles that this nation was founded upon and the inspiring men who founded it at a great cost. And the brave men who protect our freedom presently. I am so lucky to be able to feel that way and to be reminded of the important things...



like this imortant thing....



5 comments:

Rebecca said...

great post, claire. cute pics of little quincy.

Jessica Sedgwick said...

I love those little moments. Interesting about the hormone thing. Maybe you're pregnant again with all that emotion you're feeling! :) Jason's awesome. We all love him, too.

Jill Bagley said...

ahhh, that is depressing.
i feel that same way about Lucille. and i baby her to death. she still takes a bottle, and i rock her at nap time. i wrap her in blankets and stare at her face. but no matter how much i want another one, i have to remember that i have three kids!! i dont know if i can divide my time anymore than i already am!! they all need me. and AHHH, i just loved that little baby so much. and now she is all grown into a two year old. not a baby. so--i feel like we are done. but who knows.
but you're having more arent you? you can just savor the baby stage and when he is old enough to boss you--you can just have another one :) ha ha
wish my husband could get on board with that hormone---who knows about the future!!

Jill Bagley said...

Oh PS---has your husband applied in oregon for dental school? you probably already know where you are going, but i just wanted to say that you would LOVE it out here.
people are awesome. and the school here is awesome.
we could be like sisters!! you should move out here. its goregeous!!!

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

thanks for that post! i love t that part about the hormone being released. sometimes i feel like my kids really are an addiction--it's better than being addicted to eating! oh yeah--that was sweet of jason too!:)